Treadmills!
Ok-Go, Here It Goes Again
I have trained two of my dogs to walk on our treadmill, each in diferent ways. Our machine goes up to 10 miles per hour. My dogs and myself, however, do not. The fastest setting to date that we've gone is a 5.3mph jog. My dogs also have diferent feelings for this activity; Molly absolutely despises it and will only use it if I walk with her on the machine and feed her every few minutes as a reward. Hank, on the other hand, finds the activity itself rewarding and will run at any speed with any distraction with me standing idly by his side. (This has also greatly improved his heeling, but that's a different issue.)

This is probably how Molly feels when I run her... Caged in. This is one method you could use to train your dog to walk on a treadmill, or you could just leash your dog up and walk them with you as I do with Molly.
Here are some treadmill related Dog-Links:
http://www.jogadog.com/
http://www.pitbulllovers.com/training-articles/training-your-pit-bull-for-treadmill-work.html

2 Comments:
Thanks Amy for posting this and the links! Hopefully the treadmill will help with lack of exericse that occurs in the winter, so Timber can stay in top condition for flyball and conformation.
I've been looking at treadmills and am probably going to pick one up for the dogs (and myself) to condition in the winter when they refuse to go outside for any length of time in the rain. great post Amy!
Post a Comment
<< Home